DEC
2000

kde.themes.org Needs Your Help!

Have you noticed that kde.themes.org has not been as active as everything else in the kde world? Apparently, they need some help to maintain the site. If you have "intimate knowledge of the KDE theme system" then you may be the person for the job. If you're interested, email cjr and ElCoronel.

Comments

>Have you noticed that kde.themes.org has not been as active as everything else in the kde world?

Definitely! I was looking forward to getting some REALLY cool themes for KDE 2.0. There's so much potential! With the new theming improvements, KDE can be made to look like anything you want. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any good themes at all. Hopefully kde.themes.org will become more active in the future. BTW, I haven't tried the GTK theme importer. Does it work well?

By not me at Sun, 2000/12/10 - 6:00am

I wonder if it's just a matter of updating the site or if it's also true that nobody is creating themes? I think I'll try my hand at porting a few themes to kde as soon as I get some time off for the holidays. I'd create my own, but I'm not artistically gifted. :( Hopefully there is some good stuff out there that has an open license.

I haven't tried the GTK theme importer either, but it's said to be faster under kde that in a GTK environment! Personally, I'd rather use a native, coded theme than a pixmap theme though.
mosfet.org is a good place to find kde2 theming info/tutorials.

-kdeFan

By kdeFan at Sun, 2000/12/10 - 6:00am

not me>Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any good themes at all.

kdeFan>I wonder if it's just a matter of updating the site or if it's also true that nobody is creating themes?

I think there is one single reason for this: The lack of a theme manager in 2.0.x.

Fortunately this will change with 2.1.x, where the theme manager will reappear.

By matt at Sun, 2000/12/10 - 6:00am

> I think there is one single reason for this: The lack of a theme manager in 2.0.x

Another reason : You can change so many thinks
with kcontrol (color, size of icon, saturation, gamma, ...)

I'm less interest in themes for this reason.

By thil at Sun, 2000/12/10 - 6:00am

Perhaps Mosfet can tell us something about the Theme Manager and stuff.
Long time since there was a update to www.mosfet.org, is he too busy coding?

By reihal at Sun, 2000/12/10 - 6:00am

I think there was a Widget Designer on Mosfet's website earlier. Anyone knows if I'm right or am I dreaming?

By reihal at Sun, 2000/12/10 - 6:00am

Just to show something... I will soon submit to kde.themes.org...

Tis attached.BTW, any comments?? :)

Jason

By Jason Katz-Brown at Sun, 2000/12/10 - 6:00am

Great work!
A little bit more colour would be nice.

Klaus

By klaus at Sun, 2000/12/10 - 6:00am

Well..

I kinda LIKE it ;D

By dys at Tue, 2000/12/12 - 6:00am

He, he..
Theme manager is already part of cvs. Go and compile it!
Here is screenshot how it looks.

By Zeljko Vukman at Sun, 2000/12/10 - 6:00am

Great Stuff!
will it also handle winowdecortion and will it be ready for 2.1?
Another question: is mosfet still an active KDE-developer? I couldn' find anything in the mailinglists newer than one month posted by him.
Klaus

By klaus at Sun, 2000/12/10 - 6:00am

Dude, the decoration of your windows rocks!
where did you get it?

By Remenic at Sun, 2000/12/10 - 6:00am

It's the new default decoration (the one called "KDE2") that's in CVS.

By Maarten ter Huurne at Sun, 2000/12/10 - 6:00am

is there any theme manager rpm available yet ?

By Massimo TRENTO at Sun, 2000/12/10 - 6:00am

Looks great!

Do you know if there's any planned support to make it easy to download/browse themes from kde.themes.org? That would be a *REALLY* nice feature to have. 2 things which would be nice:

Browse new themes (since the last time your were there)

Install the theme (automatically downloads, installs it)

Rich

By Richard Sheldon at Mon, 2000/12/11 - 6:00am

Regarding Mosfet, yes I think he's busy coding. Because this is what he promised (he used the word "promise" himself) for 2.1:

"Extended color schemes, including the KControl module, will be ready. I
got all the widgets for KControl working and just need to do "HotSpot"
stuff. This is *really* cool - it's cool even with regular styles like
"CDE" being able to select different colors for scrollbar buttons vs.
sliders, etc... :) Two new highcolor styles will be ready - a Marble one
that follows color schemes and a "MegaGradient" one. KWM themes will be
supported by default, but like I said there is no theme installer. A
dedicated Aqua plugin is in the works. Pixie needs to be fixed up and
brought back in, because it kicks ass and honestly I think it's going to
be the most useful thing I've done. OTOH the widget theme engine is
half-rewritten and I need to finish that as well... This is why I am no
longer really paying attention to widget theme engine bugs - the new one
is completely different."

Is all that in the CVS already?

By matt at Sun, 2000/12/10 - 6:00am

Hmmm ...

more than a year ago I started coding my own KDE2 style, but haven't finished it yet - mainly because I'm not a programmer and my C++ knowledge is minimal. Still, I hope to finish it sometime in the future, though I don't hope that everybody will like it - it's pretty minimalistic and aimed to be functional and not eycandy. But I hope that thoese who like Motif or NeXT look & feel will enjoy it (if I ever finish it ;-)

By fura at Sun, 2000/12/10 - 6:00am

I remember seeing screenshots of KDE2 on mosfet.org. He had true BeOS-like WM decorations up there. What happened? It's all different withthe BII thing in KDE2. I want my close in the far left!!

By Whiner at Mon, 2000/12/11 - 6:00am

I was not using KDE as much before, but since KDE II released, it come my desktop. Anyway, I love to help KDE with both building theme and updating the site. But I truely have not idea about how to creat theme. Looking after or maintain the website maybe ok ..

reply me if you want my help ...
from your BIG FAN

By Tom at Mon, 2000/12/11 - 6:00am

I don't think the people who are asking for help are reading this site (or they probably would have submitted their request for help). Perhaps you would like to offer your assistance to them and let them decide if you have the necessary skills? You can find their email addresses in the article.

As for theming, mosfet.org has a kde2 theming tutorial. I don't know how good it is because I haven't read most of it yet. You can look at it here if you're interested.

Good Luck,
kdeFan

By kdeFan at Mon, 2000/12/11 - 6:00am

Hiya,

A bare bones theme manager is currently in KDE CVS and will be released with 2.1. It currently only handles colors, backgrounds and icons but more
will be added including KWM style window decorations.

You can also use it as a quick way to create a theme from your current configuration.

Cheers,
Waldo

By Waldo Bastian at Tue, 2000/12/12 - 6:00am

i dont know whats wrong with kde.themes.org but common sense would say if the server isnt up, maybe they cant aford the server.

what i do know is i own a web site hosting / developement company, www.2GProductions.com

if kde.themes.org needs a new home, id like to offer a account to them for free.

contact me if i can help