theKompany.com is pleased to announce the release of its Windows/Linux GUI development environment for Python, BlackAdder. BlackAdder combines a visual design environment with debugging, syntax highlighting, ODBC interfaces and extensive HTML documentation into a comprehensive platform for developing Python applications. Update: 01/14 10:50 AM by wes: The press release has been updated with corrections from Shawn Gordon.
We worked with Trolltech, the creators of the Qt windowing toolkit on which BlackAdder is based, and eGenix, creators of the multi-platform ODBC interfaces for Python known as mxODBC, and were able to derive a license arrangement to bring the most power and flexibility to BlackAdder.
What is especially exciting that BlackAdder not only runs on Linux and Windows, it generates applications that will run on either system as well. This protects your investment in development by enabling you to develop and deploy your applications almost anywhere. Unlike similar products, BlackAdder includes all the elements needed for developing complete applications and the rights to re-distribute the necessary run-time elements, highlights of the BlackAdder are:
- Organizes your Python scripts and GUI designs into easy to manage projects.
- An editor that includes highlighting of Python keywords and code folding.
- An interactive Python interpreter (v2.0) that allows you to execute any Python commands while your application is running.
- A license to access the Qt GUI toolkit API (v2.2.3) from Trolltech
via the PyQt Python bindings only.
- Qt Designer from Trolltech with a modified user interface compiler
that generates Python code.
- A debugger that supports single stepping and
- ODBC database connectivity (using mxODBC v2.0 from eGenix).
- Over 50Mbytes of HTML documentation.
BlackAdder is available in two editions, "Personal" aimed more at the home hobbyist and "Business", both editions produce the same high quality, professional applications the only restriction is the ability to create proprietary applications for resell. The pricing and differences are described below, note the special discount pricing during the initial beta period.
BlackAdder Personal Edition
- Qt (for use with PyQt only)
- Comprehensive HTML documentation
- mxODBC (ODBC for Python)
- IDE (including GUI designer, editor and debugger)
- 20% discount voucher for any book from O'Reilly
License: For personal home use only, not allowed to re-distribute any BlackAdder components.
Cost: $79.99 ($49.99 if purchased during the Beta period).
Support: Informal mailing list.
Updates: $59.99 per year for up to 4 updates per year ($39.99 during the Beta period)
BlackAdder Business Edition
- Same as the Personal Edition.
License: For commercial use. Those BlackAdder components needed to provide a run-time environment (ie. Python, PyQt, Qt) may be re-distributed at no extra cost. One mxODBC license is included in the purchase price, valid mxODBC licenses must be obtained for any additional installations of generated software using the mxODBC component.
Cost: $399.99 ($249.99 if purchased during the Beta period).
Support: First month of support is included, extended support contracts are available on the web site.
Updates: $299.99 per year for up to 4 updates per year ($199.99 during the Beta period)
Detailed information and screenshots can be seen at http://www.thekompany.com/products/blackadder/