FEB
2008

KDE 3.5.9 Brings New Enterprise PIM

The KDE community is happy to announce another update for the KDE 3 branch. KDE 3.5.9 is the latest bugfix and translation update for those who cannot or do not want to switch to KDE 4 yet. While currently no subsequent release for KDE 3 is planned, we will make sure to provide updates as they are needed to run your KDE3 smoothly also in the future.

The KDE-PIM enterprise branch that has enhanced functionality and stability in the PIM components KMail, KOrganizer, KAddressbook, KAlarm and of course its shell Kontact is merged back as official part into the KDE3 branch. Techbase has details about the changes in KDE-PIM. Among those are:

• A Favourite email folders view in KMail, as well as drag and drop
    support for folders
  • Easier scheduling in KOrganizer through various improvements in the
    user interface
  • Improvements in KAlarm and KAddressbook

Enjoy KDE 3.5.9!

Comments

Thank you KDE Team for all your work. The new features of the KDE-PIM tools are very welcome.

cheers blendo

------------

By blendo at Tue, 2008/02/19 - 6:00am

I am using svn version for last 2 weeks (prompted by Commit Digest) and they are really good improvements.

Thanks.

m.

By m. at Tue, 2008/02/19 - 6:00am

Is the changelog actually complete? I was expecting some fixes to kdelibs/kdebase. 3.5.8 introduced a rather subtle but annoying bug in Konqueror I was hoping this release would fix. No biggie anyway, I'll install it and cross my fingers.

Keep up the great work, KDE team!

By Pilaf at Tue, 2008/02/19 - 6:00am

No, the ChangeLog is not complete at all. It is written by hand (well, in a XML file, the PHP/HTML is autogenerated from the XML). Most developers do not update the XML after each commit. There are many many more changes between 3.5.8 and 3.5.9.

By Carsten Niehaus at Tue, 2008/02/19 - 6:00am

However, if the bug was fixed following a bugreport on bugs.kde.org, there is a very big chance that the bugtracker will be updated.

By definition, if it's a subtle bug, it may not have been spotted by devs. When a bug is annoying you, do yourself and the community a favor by making sure it has been reported :)

By moltonel at Tue, 2008/02/19 - 6:00am

It would be nice for these maintenance updates to be able to see what changes went into them. If the devs don't have time to update the list, perhaps just a link to all commits between 3.5.8 and 3.5.9 would be an alternative? I assume this would be fairly simple to get..

By Leo S at Tue, 2008/02/19 - 6:00am

In http://www.kde.org/announcements/changelogs/changelog3_5_8to3_5_9.php you can always click on "All SVN changes", which should return the full list of commits to that module. Apparently it doesn't work currently for this release though..

By teprrr at Tue, 2008/02/19 - 6:00am

Hehe, it cannot work. Those "complete changelog" files have to be generated by a script as well. Nobody ran the script this time.

If you want to help us here and improve the current situation (the is nobody feeling responsible for the ChangeLog) contact me, I will show you how things work.

By Carsten Niehaus at Tue, 2008/02/19 - 6:00am

I'm pretty sure nsplugin got some of the 4.0.1 fixes. So flash should work.

By anon at Wed, 2008/02/20 - 6:00am

I tried it and Flash 9 still doesn't work in 3.5. Although it does work in 4.0

By JRT at Fri, 2008/02/22 - 6:00am

I've had several problems with the enterprise patches, and the biggest is that sending mail doesn't work. It doesn't print any error messages anywhere, and when I installed "plain" KMail instead, the messages got sent right away.

By sandsmark at Tue, 2008/02/19 - 6:00am

Please send a detailed bugreport. Thanks to KDAB, the company behind much KDE-PIM work (and esp the enterprise branch) these should get picked up and fixed asap.

By jos poortvliet at Wed, 2008/02/20 - 6:00am

I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be better to have a monolitic Kontact instead of using different small applications. I find it weird to have different dock icons for each sub-application. Couldn't it be possible to integrate everything into one single app ? Moreover, having so many configuration dialogs is hard to manage.

I know that this architecture provides the ability to only use the sub-components alone if needed, but for those who are looking for a professional centralized application (Outlook-like to be rude), it can be disturbing.

Talking totally about something else, is it planned to integrate the Google Apps APIs into KDE-PIM ? It would be nice to support GCalendar out of the box for instance.

Kind regards

By Cypher at Tue, 2008/02/19 - 6:00am

Wouldn't it be better to concentrate on improving the integration between the components within Kontact where needed? Surely this would be a lot less work than trying to roll all of the components into one huge monolithic application.

Other than the configuration dialogs, where would you like to see more integration between the components?

By Paul Eggleton at Tue, 2008/02/19 - 6:00am

To be honest... I don't really know. Everytime I tried to launch Kontact, I got the KOrganizer and the... what was it again... the RSS aggregator... icons in the dock. Then I tried to configure the KMail part to get my GMail account through IMAP, and never found the option to root into a subdirectory (which is [Gmail] in the case of GMail)... Then gave up... Too many icons in the dock + blurry config + no easy GCalendar integration, I decided that Thunderbird + Lightning + GCalendar plugin was better suited to my needs, even if it doesn't integrate that well into my KDE.

So I must say that I can't really be of great help. I was just suggesting a usability goal, based on the fact that I personally got lost because it didn't feel... erm... united enough. I would just say that a single tray icon, and stripped down unified config dialog with advanced options being just one click away would be great. Easy to use at first try, easy to tweak afterwards.

My 2 cents...

By Cypher at Tue, 2008/02/19 - 6:00am

If the icons annoy you ( they did annoy me as well) each application has an option to remove the icon from the tray. Voila you are left with no icon or the icon of kmail/korganizer/... or whatever icon you find most helpfull. This is actually a great way to customize the way the application presents itself to you. You need of course to go through the config dialogs for these applications but these are very well organized and you will find your way through if you are willing to spend a few minutes.

By Benjamin Schleinzer at Wed, 2008/02/20 - 6:00am

Well... I need an all-in-one icon actually, because those icons are useful, but there are too many of them. No need to duplicate, only one for everything would be great.

By Cypher at Wed, 2008/02/20 - 6:00am

I fully agree on the icon thing, I must say... Just one for all of contact, not several.

By jos poortvliet at Wed, 2008/02/20 - 6:00am

Complete disagreement, here - I want to see the number of unread RSS posts I have and the number of unread e-mails I have both at once, and you can't fit all of this info into one system tray icon.

By anon at Wed, 2008/02/20 - 6:00am

which is why the system tray just... well.. sucks. it's an old concept and it's not working any more.
what we *really* need in this case is a kontact plasmoid. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before one shows up; akonadi should make stuff like that extra-easy :)

By Chani at Thu, 2008/02/21 - 6:00am

The difference between plasma and the systray is that the systray is always visible and docked into a panel with other "always on top" things. I don't want to access the plasma dashboard in order to click the icon. It should just be one click away, with no need to use the keyboard (I know, that's the current trend : use the keyboard more... just look at the new kmenu replacements. But I am lazy, and I don't like hitting my keyboard while I could just use my mouse. I spend most of my time just using a mouse, with my left hand holding a pen and taking notes. And that's the way I like it, I don't want to be forced to use both of my hands... Erm... sorry for the digression :) )

I guess that the systray is not dead and plasma is not the perfect solution to every problem (even if it is an amazing piece of work).

By Cypher at Thu, 2008/02/21 - 6:00am

"The difference between plasma and the systray is that the systray is always visible and docked into a panel with other "always on top" things"

Er ... you do know that the systray is actually a Plasmoid, don't you? There is absolutely no difference between a Plasmoid and something that can be "always visible and docked into a panel with other 'always on top' things".

"I don't want to access the plasma dashboard in order to click the icon."

You won't have to - just dock it in a Panel where you can always see it.

"It should just be one click away, with no need to use the keyboard"

See above :)

By anon at Thu, 2008/02/21 - 6:00am

Yes, right, I forgot about plasmoids in panels, my mistake :)

By Cypher at Thu, 2008/02/21 - 6:00am

This is getting OT since this page is about 3.5, but:

Widgets (KDE-4) could be much more useful if they could be assigned a hot spot at the edge of the screen that would move them to the top as with hidden panels in KDE-3.5.x

By JRT at Thu, 2008/02/21 - 6:00am

Yes, an (optional) unified Kontact system tray icon is definitely needed.

We already have a unified progress indicator, that shows it can be done (and also shows HOW it can be done).

Hint: This would be a great junior job.

The bug report for this is at https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75446 .

By Thomas McGuire at Wed, 2008/02/20 - 6:00am

I was thinking long and hard today along similar lines. KDE should form a strategic partnership with Google in much the same way Mozilla did.

As far as the API goes, you only get so many uses for your API key, so KDE couldn't just take the API and use it without paying for it, or striking a deal. They'd go over API usage with all the people who use KDE.

However, imagine Google contributing code to NEPOMUK and improving Strigi.
Imagine fully integrating Google services like GCalendar, GTalk and Gmail into your desktop.
Imagine easily integrating Google Docs to share documents.
Imagine being able to search an index with your account, and have it know that what you're looking for is on another computer you've used recently.

KDE 4 is now cross-platform. With plasmoids, open APIs, and the beginning of the Semantic Desktop, you could fully integrate your desktop experience with an online community, and simultaneously integrate online services into your desktop.

The partnership would profit both parties, and the end users would get much better features.

You could take it even further. It could create in-roads for KDE usage in the Enterprise environment through the strength of the Google brand. I can tell you first hand that integrating Sharepoint is very costly. Imagine an OSS alternative that allows the entire enterprise to communicate via email, calendar, IM, share documents, collaborate, search, etc. intuitively, and directly through your desktop apps.

We need to brainstorm this, and someone needs to approach Google about this.

By T. J. Brumfield at Wed, 2008/02/20 - 6:00am