Qt 3.3.4 Release and Qt 4 Schedule Adjustment

Trolltech has announced the release of Qt 3.3.4 which is a maintenance release including many bug fixes and optimizations. The final Qt 4.0 release is now anticipated for late second quarter of 2005 with two
interim beta versions to be released in March and May.


"I think dynamic languages like python, perl and ruby work particularly well with Qt and all have very good bindings - PyQt, PerlQt and QtRuby. So I wouldn't wait for trolltech to tell you what to do - if you master the Qt api in one language you can easily switch to another because they are all pretty similar."

mastering is i big word, but i use the Qt api in C++. Yet i wait for officialy supported bindings before decide to go and master an other language than C++.

By ac at Thu, 2005/01/27 - 6:00am

Maybe, but the documentation for Pyqt is not so great, that's why I want Trolltech to support it.

By matt at Fri, 2005/01/28 - 6:00am

PyQt is the only Qt binding that's got a book written about it... Okay, so I didn't have time to keep the text updated, what with Krita and writing a novel and so on, and the publisher failed to get it available through Amazon which meant that it might as well not have been published at all, but I still have got a few copies for people who cannot find it in the bookshops.

By Boudewijn Rempt at Fri, 2005/01/28 - 6:00am

I do not agree with your statement on the documentation.

For one thing, you can just take the C++ documentation and work with it. The few cases that do not map exactly the C++ are documented in one html page on Phil's PyQt site and that has proven to be very sufficient to me.

The other thing is that the support of Phil is great and very reactive (I wish TheKompany could have the same level) so I doubt that you will run into any problem. And there are a lot _less_ problems when programming in python than in C++.

And since Trolltech has license agreement that allows TheKompany to sell PyQt, you can consider that like an officiel support, no ?

By Philippe Fremy at Sat, 2005/01/29 - 6:00am

How is this going to affect the schedule of kde 4.0?? is there going to be one more release in kde 3.x series...

By kp at Thu, 2005/01/27 - 6:00am

I don't think so. Two reasons: Qt4.b1 was not too bad and since its release a lot things already improved in the snapshots. Second reason: It was not even clear if there should be a KDE 3.4.
If the core-devels decide to do a 3.5-release it will take 4 to 6 month. 3.4 will be released in March, so 3.5 won't be out before August 2005. At that point of time Qt 4.0.0 should already be out.

By anon at Thu, 2005/01/27 - 6:00am

So when will we start porting to Qt-4?? We don't wanna wait until qt-4 final is out do we??

By performa 300 at Thu, 2005/01/27 - 6:00am

If there will be no 3.5 (what I think) porting will start pretty much as soon as kde 3.4 is out the door.

By anon at Thu, 2005/01/27 - 6:00am

Assuming there will be no 3.5, how long is KDE 4 estimated to take? A year?

By matt at Thu, 2005/01/27 - 6:00am

No, we wanna help/influence qt-4 final.

By Anonymous at Sat, 2005/01/29 - 6:00am

don't expect it before December 2005.

By jambo at Thu, 2005/01/27 - 6:00am

Warning, personal opinion only: After the release of 3.3 we start with KDE 4.0. That will be taking a while and will be rather end of Q4 than end of Q2, if not later. The Qt betas should be good enough to start the porting to Qt4 (are they?) KDE 3.3 will be the last release in the KDE 3.x series, apart from the occasional KDE 3.3.x bugfix releases.

By Waldo Bastian at Thu, 2005/01/27 - 6:00am

You mean 3.4, right?

By matt at Thu, 2005/01/27 - 6:00am

Indeed :-\

By Waldo Bastian at Fri, 2005/01/28 - 6:00am

s/3.3/3.4/g :-)

By Anonymous at Thu, 2005/01/27 - 6:00am


If we wait until Qt4 is out we probably won't see kde-4 until first half of 2006 at the best.

By performa 300 at Fri, 2005/01/28 - 6:00am